Friday, July 18, 2008

So you aren't doing 3-D for a living...?

This is just a short note of encouragement to any other CADA peeps who, for whatever reason, aren't directly using their CADA-earned skills. The note reads:
---
Who cares?
---

Yes, NYU is terribly expensive. And, there is a lot of pride that comes from finishing the program so, conversely, a bit of regret if you aren't directly using those skills. But, it's not the end of the world.

Here's my take, a few years out:

Being creative, being an artist, means trying something new. Sometimes failure is part of the process. Here's the thing: I don't look at my CADA time as failure. I discovered that while I like technology, art, and animation... I hate doing it for a living.

That was hard to admit. If you're processing the same, no worries.

Professionally, the skills I learned at CADA have been useful (still do a few related projects). Personally, I've used the visualization techniques as I work to restore an old Victorian house.

I just wanted to say all this because I think our program thinks that only those who work in "the industry" have used their time and money well. I disagree. I'm grateful for my experience at CADA -- even though in the end I discovered animation wasn't for me. I hope to keep in contact with our creative group regardless of where you use (or don't use) your CADA skills.

Hope this helps anyone wondering the same...
Katie

2 comments:

Mehma said...

hey katie.....i think that it is awesome that you wrote regarding this particular topic....I know that many of us had been feeling the frustration of having spent so much money and then not reaping benefits from it. But what you say is true...and I hope this encourages our friends not to feel disappointed if they are not doing 3D....

./aditi said...

Katie - I think that the fact you are in touch with who you are and what you want is more important than anything else.

To be honest, I'm not completely sure yet how CADA helped me land anything... it was more of the mere fact that I knew what I wanted before I got there, and being there frustrated me enough to get into industry faster. It was definitely a learning experience. I cherish all of the friends and contacts I made through CADA more than anything else. And as I've been learning while working - this industry is really tough on those who aren't devoted to what they do...